This course introduces students to classical and contemporary painting, techniques and concepts, with emphasis on the understanding of its formal language and the fundamentals of artistic expression. Painting from still life, landscape, and life models from observation will be geared towards realism; at the same time, various other painting styles could be explored. Color theory, linear perspective, compositional structure, figure/ground relationships, visual perception, spatial concepts, and critical thinking skills will all be emphasized. Students will study and research major painting styles and movements in historical context. The hope is that students will use this global approach to develop a “critical eye” in evaluation of contemporary painting. Acrylic and watercolors are the mediums used in this class. The main emphasis of this course is to encourage and nourish individuality and creativity.
- Demonstrate skills in creating painted works with acrylic medium.
- Show skills in creating painted works with watercolor medium, including washes and dry brush techniques.
- Solve assignment challenges with planning, practice, patience, and the use of techniques introduced in the course.
- Master color mixing in two painting mediums.
- Identify and apply color harmonies.
- Gain awareness of art movements and artists throughout the history of painting.
- Enhance good design principles with a focus on the composition of painted assignments.
- Display clarity and self-confidence in visual decision-making.
|S.No.||Fee Component||Amount (USD)||Description|
|1||Subject Fee||$ 200||To be paid by the student at the time of Registration.|
|2||Examination Fee||$ 100||To be paid within 3 months of Registration.|
Grade 9 - 12
- Chromacryl tube of acrylic paints
- Round brush
- Flat brush
- Watercolor paints (includes brush)
- Set of markers
- Painting paper (The pad of paper may be labeled watercolor paper. Please use for all paintings, including acrylic.)
- Newsprint paper (This paper is for sketches and testing paints. Do not use for painting projects.)
- 1–4b pencil
- 7 project cardstock pages